2.01.2009

A Car in My Lap

It was in a little bed and breakfast in the wine country of Argentina that we were enlightened by a Norwegian. My husband and I sat in the common room of Club Tapiz B&B sipping wine and chatting with our fellow travelers, getting to know them. When we asked one of the men why he and his wife had come all the way from Norway to this remote location he said, "You have to make the most of every day because you never know when you are going to wake up to find a rock on your head or a car in your lap."




We had never heard the saying before and I stored it away in my memory. I thought it spoke well to why we, too had come to this out of the way place from our small town in Wisconsin. I vowed to keep the thought in my head for everyday reference once I returned home so that I would be reminded to grab life fully each day. Of course those resolutions are neglected when you get involved in real life. I even thought of it as a humorous, 'cute' statement until last October when I woke up to find a car in my lap.


My husband had an elevated PSA rating during a routine exam and the urologist recommended an ultrasound and biopsy to check out my husband's prostate. With my husband's PSA rating the chances of him having prostate cancer were one in four. During that painful, breathless week of waiting for tests results I had a dream. My husband was standing on top of a tall building looking down at me. He said he was scared and I said, "I know." Again, he said he was scared and I smiled and said, "I am here." He stood there for quite some time as I calmly waited. He finally let himself fall and I caught him gently in my arms. I think that is when I knew that the biopsy results would be positive.


He knew when he called the doctor's office from work for the test results and they said he needed to come in and see the doctor in the afternoon. I was upstairs in the bedroom putting away clean clothes when I heard him come in the back door, home from work long before noon. With the sound of that door my knees buckled a bit. I met him at the bottom of the stairs. I had no idea what to say so I gathered him in my arms.



1 comment:

  1. This is such a beautiful and bittersweet story, auntie Vicki. It sounds like you and Pam were and are lucky to have each other.

    ReplyDelete